In computing, a server is a piece of computer hardware or software that provides functionality for other programs or devices, called “clients”. … Typical servers are database servers, file servers, mail servers, print servers, web servers, game servers, and application servers.
A server serves information to computers that connect to it.
Clients can connect to a server through either a local area network (LAN) or a wide area network (WAN), such as the Internet.
When users connect to a server, they can access programs, files, and other information from the server.
Why do you need a Server?
There can be many possibilities where you require a Server. Some of them may include:
- A new start up business where all the files of the company need to be stored in a central server.
- A huge corporate setup where the security of company files is a matter of major concern.
- You want to have remote access to files and applications anywhere anytime.
- You want to have centralized security of files on a single server.
- You want to use server as a solution for your Applications, E-commerce, messaging or for other critical applications.
The reasons for server requirement may be varied but to choose the right option in terms of space, interoperability, cost, security, updates and other factors could be unnerving for any business.